Who I am
For 10 years I tried to fit into the corporate world. I’m a Princeton graduate and that’s what we’re supposed to do!
In 2011 I quit my job and have since been working on my own. I run Touch MBA, which helps applicants find and get into the world’s top MBA programs.
Along this journey I have learned that managing meaning, relationships and health is just as important – and more difficult – than making money.
Why this website
My goal with upstartist is simple: to help solopreneurs make a good living and a great life.
Having grown up in the US but worked my entire career in Asia, I showcase both Western and Eastern approaches to a fulfilling life and career.
I hope this site helps you cope with the mental and emotional challenges of working on your own. This is an unscripted career path. I don’t have all the answers. But I hope to help you find yours and empower you along the way.
This podcast explores how to survive and thrive as a solopreneur. How are creators and founders managing their work, lives and relationships?
- Listen here at upstartist.tv/ASE
- Subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher, Overcast, Google Podcasts, RSS, YouTube
Private Email List
- Solopreneurship Goes Against 200,000 Years of Evolution
- The In-Between: Getting through the Hero’s Journey
- The Counterintuitive Life Lessons of Obituaries
- Who Is More Important: Achiever or Believer?
What’s Your Perfect Day?
In 2018 I started asking friends and strangers about their perfect day.
I want to hear about what makes life worth living from all kinds of people – not just the rich, famous and powerful we idolize.
More About Me
- ASE Podcast – surviving and thriving as a self-employed creative
- The Perfect Day – asking friends and strangers about their perfect day
- Upstartist MBA – a series of 14 posts on managing yourself and creating value, written in 2012
- Book Trainer – putting great books to into practice
- Touch MBA – helping thousands of applicants worldwide get a life-changing business education
- The Touch MBA Admissions Podcast – demystifying the MBA application through 150+ interviews with MBA Admissions Directors, students and alumni
- WasteX – wasting less in Vietnam
- Blogging – guides, rants, and randomness
- Mentoring for organizations like Princeton in Asia, Blakemore Foundation and YSEALI that promote cultural exchange between East and West
I love hearing from people, so please contact me here, introduce yourself and let me know the challenges you face – maybe I can help.
- #21 Live for Today or Tomorrow?Is it possible to live for today AND tomorrow? Darren shares one approach to be kind to your past, present and future self.
- #20 How to Get Published with Elaine Pofeldt, Independent Journalist & AuthorElaine draws on her decades of experience as a journalist, senior editor and author to share how you can get more media exposure – and publish your next book.
- 333 Productivity for Distracted SolopreneursLimits focus, so set yours!