The Blog of Darren Joe
Whenever I have the chance, I set aside a few hours to share what I’m learning here on Upstartist.tv. Thanks for reading.
Currently I am:
- Running Touch MBA
- Hosting The Touch MBA Admissions Podcast
- Exploring The Perfect Day
- Applying great books with Book Trainer
- Learning Vietnamese
- In Saigon, Vietnam
More About Me
In college I took John Holland’s 6 Personality Types Career Test and learned my 3 top matches were:
- Likes to do creative activities like art, drama, crafts, dance, music, or creative writing; generally avoids highly ordered or repetitive activities;
- Has good artistic abilities — in creative writing, drama, crafts, music, or art;
- Values the creative arts — like drama, music, art, or the works of creative writers;
- and Sees self as expressive, original, and independent.
- Likes to do things to help people — like, teaching, nursing, or giving first aid, providing information; generally avoids using machines, tools, or animals to achieve a goal;
- Is good at teaching, counseling, nursing, or giving information;
- Values helping people and solving social problems;
- and Sees self as helpful, friendly, and trustworthy.
- Likes to lead and persuade people, and to sell things and ideas; generally avoids activities that require careful observation and scientific, analytical thinking;
- Is good at leading people and selling things or ideas;
- Values success in politics, leadership, or business;
- and Sees self as energetic, ambitious, and sociable.
The test captured me well. 20 years later I’m still searching for my “dream job.” I’ve been a statistics teacher, actor, business analyst, language learner, public relations analyst, author, admissions director, podcast host, entrepreneur, tv basketball commentator, virtual manager and (amateur) dancer. I’m getting closer to the bullseye, if there is one.
When I started this blog in 2012, my friend John thought upstartist (upstart + artist + star) captured my interests in entrepreneurship, art and helping people.
So that’s my definition of an upstartist – an ASE (Artistic – Social – Enterprising) personality, who thrives in similar environments.